The Problems With Knob And Tube Wiring
If you have a home that was built in the early 1900's, it may still have the original electrical system in place known as knob and tube wiring. While there were no issues with knob and tube wiring at the time it was used in homes, it is a form of electrical wiring that should be replaced due to a few different issues. Here is what you need to know about knob and tube wiring.
Knob And Tube Wiring Is Very Old
One thing to keep in mind about knob and tube wiring is that it is very old. If you do own a very old home that still has it, it's possible that the wiring system is 100 years old. It is more prone to failing simply because of its age, and you don't want to be left in a situation where you are without power.
Knob And Tube Wiring Is Ungrounded
A safety feature that you are missing with your home with knob and tube wiring is that the entire system is not grounded. This can lead to you being shocked from a loose connection that is touching a metal electrical box. A grounded electrical system also helps prevent fires from happening within the walls of your home. This is more likely to happen if there is a spark when you plug in an electrical outlet, and a high amount of voltage causes those old wires to get extremely hot.
In addition, you likely have a lot of high end appliances plugged into your outlets. These devices are not going to be protected from fluctuations in voltage levels due to power surges, and it is possible that devices can be ruined due to not having a grounded electrical system.
Knob And Tube Wiring Needs To Dissipate Heat
The way that knob and tube wiring works is that the heat needs to dissipate from the wires. However, this usually means having the wire run in open areas, such as your basement or attic, for this to happen. It does not allow you to properly insulate areas where the knob and tube wiring is running, because the heat can get trapped along the wires if it does not have open air for the heat to escape. This is another reason why knob and tube wiring is a fire hazard.
Feel like it's time to get rid of your knob and tube wiring? Reach out to an electrician for more information on residential electrical installs.